Who can volunteer?
- Almost anyone can volunteer at Families Forward! We welcome individuals, families, student groups, faith groups, community groups, corporate groups, and others.
- For safety reasons, the minimum age for on-site volunteering at the Families Forward Program Center is 10 years old. There are other ways which younger volunteers can contribute with projects at home, school, or in the community. Call us to find the best fit for you and your children.
When do you need volunteers?
- Most volunteer opportunities take place during regular business hours (Monday – Thursday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm and Friday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm). Although there are occasional weekend and evening volunteer opportunities, especially during the holiday season.
- We have three main types of volunteer opportunities:
- Weekly volunteers in assigned positions in areas such as the front desk, food pantry, or food pick-up.
- Seasonal volunteers for our annual service programs such as Back-to-School Program, Thanksgiving Program, and Adopt-a-Family.
- Special event volunteers for activities like Toy Drives and Annual Gala.
How do I get started?
- If you are interested in volunteering, please complete our online Volunteer Interest Form. After reviewing your information, we will contact you to discuss volunteer opportunities and invite you to attend a New Volunteer Orientation. Orientations take place monthly based on new volunteer interest.
What if I still have questions?
- Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) or contact our Volunteer Manager at (949)552.2727.
Front Desk Volunteer
Help change lives! Front Desk volunteers serve as the first point of contact for families and individuals looking for assistance. Volunteers help enroll clients in programs, give out resources, share information about Families Forward, and much more! Good communication skills, a strong desire to help others, patience, and excellent judgment are required.
Volunteers in this position must be at least 18 years old, attend mandatory training, and commit to a minimum three months of service. Volunteers typically work once a week for a 2-3 hour shift. Available shifts are Monday – Thursday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm and Friday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Bilingual Office Volunteers
Bilingual volunteers are needed to help translate for clients. Currently, our most needed languages are Spanish and Farsi. Bilingual volunteers can help regularly at our front desk or as needed for client phone calls or special projects.
Data entry volunteers are needed to assist the Operations Department with entering client information into our client database. This position is perfect for someone who is detail-oriented, reliable and enjoys data entry. Hours are flexible Monday-Thursday between 10:00 am – 5:00 pm. A minimum commitment of 3 hours per week is preferred.
Some of the amazing Families Forward Volunteers gathered at our annual Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon.
Food Pantry Stocking and Distribution
Help us prepare food bags and distribute food to local families in need. Volunteers have a great time sorting food, stocking the pantry shelves, and greeting families who come in for food supplies each month. This important work is done in a caring, casual, and fun environment.
Working in the Food Pantry is also a great team building experience! This opportunity is perfect for groups of 10-15 people for a 2-3 hour shift. Please contact our Volunteer Manager at (949)379-8373 to schedule a group volunteer opportunity based on availability.
Available times: Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, between the hours of 10:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Drivers – Food Pantry Donation Pick Up
Drivers are needed to pick-up food donations from food banks, local restaurants, and grocery stores. These fresh food donations are a healthy addition to the standard nonperishable food items. Pick ups typically take place in the morning, but scheduling varies Monday through Thursday.
At this time, food donations can be dropped off at our pantry Monday-Thursday between 10:00am and 2:00pm. If you are unable to drop off during these days/hours, please contact Dyson Posey at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a time when we can ensure a staff person is able to assist you.